Thursday 12 July 2012

Botanic Gardens, My Flat, Island Bay and Orientation.

Botanic Gardens

At the top of the cable car.
Last Saturday my friends Molly, Isabella and I took the cable care up to the Botanic Gardens. The cable car picks up downtown and takes you up the hill where the Gardens are located which is amazing not to have to walk up the hill. And there is a great view of the city from up there.
We saw a lot of different types of trees and plants. It was beautiful and very peaceful. I’d love to go up there and just read a book. it is a little too chilly for that now. When we were there I ended up meeting a guy from St. Cloud just randomly walking through the Gardens. He had just finished a semester abroad in Australia and was traveling before going back to Minnesota. It was the craziest coincidence. What a small world we live in.

Beautiful flowers in the Botanic Gardens


Windy W






My Flat

My bedroom
Sunday came just in time because I was about to go crazy living out of a suitcase. I moved into my flat and met my Kiwi-mate Alice. Each flat has a “Kiwi-mate” which is a local New Zealand student that lives in an international student flat and helps us adjust to NZ and the city. I love that the university does this because she is full of advice and information for where to go for this or that. It’s really nice.
My bedroom
The first thing I did after unpacking was grab my backpack and head down the hill to do some grocery shopping. Did I mention I live on a huge hill? Well… I do. And coming from wonderfully flat Minnesota, it is going to take some getting used to. Wellington is located right on a bay and the downtown/waterfront shopping is all located down there. The farther you move up the hill, away from the bay, the more it becomes residential. The main campus is also located on the hill about 3 blocks from my flat. However, for everything besides class, I will have to make the trek down the hill and back up again. Carrying heavy groceries up that hill is not a good time, to say the least. I’m hoping to have some nicely sculpted legs by the time I get back. J
Living room
Anyway, I have settled into my flat nicely. My room is very spacious and it stays warm with my space heater and new blanket. I have a nice view from my window and a great view of the city from my back porch. I met my second flatmate, Matthieu, yesterday who is from France. We have an empty bedroom this semester which is fine with me because our flat is rather small and I think 3 is the perfect number for it. I have met a few other people that live on my street and am excited to meet more. There was a party last night at a guy from my program’s house and it was pretty much all Americans and some Kiwi-mates. It was fun getting to know people from other programs and hear about what they’ve doing since getting to NZ. We also had international orientation today which was too early and boring, but I met some other people there too. I am excited to start classes, but not for schoolwork. Ugh. One more semester. One more semester and I’m done. I can do it!
The view from our balcony

Island Bay



Island Bay
On Tuesday a few of us took a city bus to Island Bay on the coast in the attempt to get to Red Rocks where you can see seals on the beach and do whale-watching. The bus ride was about 30 minutes, but ended dropping us off further from Red Rocks then we expected. However, the beach we were on was amazing. The ocean is 30 minutes from my house and I love it! Why do I live in the Midwest again? I could get used to this. We walked for a good amount of time toward Red Rocks, but by the time we got there the sun was starting to go down and we didn’t want to make the walk in the dark. So we decided to save the seal watching for another day.


Mountains from the south island








The most incredible thing about this adventure was that you could see off in the distance the snow-capped peaks of the mountains on the south island (for those of you that don’t know NZ is made up of 2 large islands and Wellington is located on the very bottom of the north island). It was breathtaking. I was standing on the beach, but could see the snowy mountains in the distance. I wish cameras could capture moments like that. I will definitely go back soon to see the seals though and I can’t wait. 


Classes start on Monday and we’re starting to plan our semester break trip to the south island. Can’t wait to see what happens next. J

1 comment:

  1. Baller! That view from your porch is most excellent. My view in London was terrible, so I am jealous. Then I saw those mountains! Damn. That is awesome, and I know what you mean about cameras not doing it justice. I can only imagine how clear and gorgeous they were in person. Awesome. Keep having fun sis!

    ReplyDelete